Opening of the school, 4 October 1929
A scan of a photocopy of the programme for the opening ceremony. From the late Malcolm ‘Jake’ Jackson’s collection of HMGS memorabilia.
Download .pdf here:
Stan Revill 1907-1993
An appreciation of Stan Revill (1907-1993) who taught history at the Mellish for 43 years (1929-1972). Written in 1996 by John Michael Lee (who left the school from VIUA in 1950) Emeritus Professor of Politics in the University of Bristol. From the late Malcolm ‘Jake’ Jackson’s collection.
Golden Jubilee 1979
This pamphlet was produced by the school, by 1979 a City comprehensive, to celebrate the 50th anniversary. From the late Malcolm ‘Jake’ Jackson’s collection.
This article was sent to Malcolm Peaker by Colin ‘Charlie Love in 1980. Nottingham Education Committee Circular, October 1979, 901-904.
Letter to the late Peter Nequest from GFH
Robin (William Henry Mettam) Bailey’s School Reports 1930-1935
Here is an example:
Download the complete set:
Robin (William Henry Mettam) Bailey’s School Certificate 1936
Junior Speech Day November 1935 From Robin Bailey’s collection via Simon Bailey
Senior Speech Day March 1936 From Robin Bailey’s collection via Simon Bailey
Physics in Form 4A 1933-34 From Robin Bailey’s collection via Simon Bailey
School Trip to Rome Olympics 1960 (material from Robert Dawson)
Robert Dawson writes:
In Rome we were lodged at the Instituto San Michele, it was said to be an orphanage at other times. We slept in dormitories and each morning the Italian flag was hoisted and ‘Arrivederci Roma’ played over the tannoy. When we moved onto the hotel at Finale five of us shared a double bedded room with extra beds crammed in. Memories of Rome, apart from the Games and sightseeing, were of venturing into the nearby streets and the shock of seeing beggars, water melon sellers and groups of local boys who approached us asking for money and when refused practised their vocabulary with some ‘very rude English phrases’.
The ‘New’ School Uniform (from Robert Dawson)
Autumn Fair 1957 (from Robert Dawson)
Admissions Letter and School Rules 1957 – from Robert Dawson
Satellite Photographs from Google Earth in 2007
The state of the school before closure and demolition can be seen. The only major change from the early 1960s is the extension from the new classrooms built on the school field. As a consequence the biology labs must have been demolished. Note the use of the playgrounds for car parking.
Bell Ringers 1949 (from Michael Bridges)
Three Bramcote boys in the school campanological society (trained by Kenneth Crofts – see Staff page) ringing at
Bulwell parish church: Michael Bridges, Ken Edge, Bill Oldbury.
Commemoration Services 1958-63 (from Robert Dawson)
Download: Commemoration Service 1958.
The 1958 service was the first airing of the school hymn composed by J.B. Brocklehurst.
City Transport Bus Pass 1963 (from Robert Dawson)
1974-75 Fixture List and School Calendar (from Martyn Shaw)
Railway Accident 1947